The Center for Teaching Excellence offers special education and professional studies courses online and on a rotating schedule.
Taught by UVA Wise adjunct faculty and supported by online learning specialists at the CTE, all coursework is offered completely online.
Courses are open to:
- provisionally licensed teachers who need special education or professional studies coursework,
- to general education teachers seeking to add special education to their licensures,
- and to teachers seeking courses for recertification points.
Course Alignment for Special Education
As of September 1, 2019, VDOE course requirements have been revised.
If you have been evaluated by the VDOE and hold an evaluation or provisional license dated prior to September 1, 2019, the courses below will align with your paperwork.
If your evaluation is dated after September 1, 2019, you will notice differences in course needs and should contact the CTE academic advisor to align your coursework.
Not Offered Through CTE
- State Assessment Testing: Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment (VCLA)
- State Assessment Testing: Reading & Writing for Virginia Educators (RVE)
- For more information, review the Overview of Virginia Testing Requirements
- Supervised Classroom Experience: The student teaching experience should allow the prospective teacher to be in classrooms full time for a minimum of 300 clock hours (including pre- and post-clinical experiences) with at least 150 clock hours spent supervised in direct teaching activities (providing direct instruction) at the level of endorsement. CTE courses do not fulfill this requirement.